Sunday, August 29, 2010

5 days ago I brewed another London style pale ale. Extra Hoppy and pretty malty, somewhere between a traditional IPA and an ESB. My closet currently smell pretty hoppy malty and yeasty. And I think you can tell when you go in that it's got a lot of CO2. I don't know if you can smell CO2, but it seems like it. There's a certain mild stinging sensation in the nose that's not really a smell but it's pretty distinct and instantly makes me think of CO2. It was a 4.5 gallon brew. I used 5#pale malt extract, 1#2-row and 1#medium crystal malt. only 4 oz of hops this time (Warrior and Amarillo). In the past it has been 6. I used 1968 London Ale yeast. Hopefully if it tastes good, I'll try to harvest it to reuse next time around.

Could this one be my Northfarthing Ale I've been wanting to make? Well see if it's worthy.


Yesterday Mike and I brewed a Koelsch Ale. It was the first time we've done a recipe using wheat. It smelled like cream of mushroom soup at first. One benefit of using wheat is that after the mash is done, you can stick the wheat in the fridge and eat it for breakfast. The barley is usually too fibery to eat. Probably great for a horse though. 2#wheat, 3.5 # pale malt extract, 1#dry malt extract (hopped) and 2 ounces of mount hood hops. How will it come out?? Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment