Saturday, September 18, 2010

Batch #5 What to call this one?? Something like Brown India Ale. Maybe someone more familiar with all the styles and their names can help me out with that.

I'm getting away from using the liquid extract as I get more experience with doing the mash. This time I used only one pound of light malt, which was my base for the IPAs. And the rest was half amber and half medium crystal malt. It looks pretty dark brown. For hops, i used Amarillo and Chinook. I don't know for sure how perfectly they will go with all that crystal malt. Oh yeah and since they didn't have any London 1960 or 1968 I just went with London 1928 Least so we'll see what happens there. It had a very vigorous start anyway.

Does anyone know if I could do the mash in a plastic cooler? Is the plastic safe for that? I've seen people do it on the internet, but I'm a little bit more picky about consuming chemicals than most people.

Batch #4 is finished and it came out pretty good. I'll need to do a lot more brewing before I can get a feel for which flavor combinations work best, for example, which hops go best with which malts and yeasts. But I'm not claiming to be a pro yet anyway. It's totally carbonated but it's not 100% attenuated yet, and there are probably still some sugars left which makes it taste sweeter than it will be in a few weeks but the yeast will also clean up the flavor. So its hard to say if it's better now or later. Probably later.

I wouldn't mind a little bit of feedback (Mikes!) on the beers to help out my learning curve.

No comments:

Post a Comment