Thursday, October 28, 2010

Ok this is my stout that I just brewed. I have never even read a recipe for a stout, but on a whim I got some dark malt when I was at the homebrew shop. I used 5lbs amber liquid malt, which on its own would make something like Shiner Bock, then 2lbs Crystal Dark malt and 2lbs Chocolate Malt Pearls (almost the darkest malt they had - with the husk removed). I used 1lb liquid light for bottle conditioning instead of dextrose. 2 days after bottling, I tried it to see how it tasted before the liquid light was fully fermented, but it seemed like it was fully carbonated. Out of fear of exploding bottles, I put the rest of the batch in the fridge to slow the fermentation. I've never exploded bottles before, but this stuff is sooo dark - darker than any stout you have ever seen - darker than espresso - I didn't want to stain the closet walls and carpet if the bottles exploded. The beer in the picture is a 1 liter - it was actually most of the stout I opened mixed with an IPA. It wasn't bitter at all (as far as my homebrew goes). It's crazy how the smooth creamy body of the British Chocolate Malt Pearls smooths out the bitterness of hops and tannins. And it's like eating a meal. I was just enjoying it without giving it too much thought, and it took me 2 hours to finish it (24 ounces total). This picture to the right is after an hour. I don't drink a lot of stout so I didn't realize how filling it can be. Also I pulled about a 6-pack worth of the stout aside and I'm using a food-quality small plastic bucket to Franken-brew a killer BIG and hoppy version of it (inspired by Stone's Sublimely Self-righteous Ale - only twice as dark and meaty).

No comments:

Post a Comment